Thursday, August 15, 2013

Target Mossimo Ona Flats Review: A Story about Shoe Quality


On a recent, food-oriented trip to Target, I managed to find myself in the shoe section and stumbled upon a pair of Mossimo Ona Scrunch Ballet Flats. There was only one pair in a pile of boxes to be re-shelved, and they were coincidentally my size. They fit very well, and had a nice color, so for just $17 (currently $15 online), I quickly purchased them, along with three bags of pizza rolls...yum.

For starters, these flats have all man-made materials, and are made in China. Predictable, and reasonable for the price. When I looked at them again at home, I was able to examine the quality more clearly and realized that the shoes had a few flaws:

The man-made upper seemed to have some color inconsistency already, even though I hadn't worn them, and after rubbing them a bit and looking more closely, I could tell that the shoes would easily stain and gain more dark spots. If I wore these, I'd have to be careful not to wear them on rainy days or even when the ground was a little wet or dirty.

Another problem I saw was the gluing of the sole. I could see some of the glue along the bottom (see picture below) and wondered how long they would last. My biggest pet peeve with shoes is having to worry whether they will hold up. I believe shoes should be built with durability as a main priority, because they're meant to be used so often in our busy daily lives. In pictures, the darkening of the upper part is much more noticeable than in real life. You can see that it darkens near the edges.

One thing I will say about the shoes is that I do like the sole. It seems strong and flexible, and has the ridges to gain traction and prevent slipping. These make the shoe feel very comfortable, and made it difficult to let go of these flats.


In the end, I did convince myself to return this pair. After all, I don't particular need brown flats in my shoe collection. I'm not very familiar with Target shoes, so I'm not sure how well they will last. Many reviews online seem to say target shoes are worth it for the price, but I find this particular shoe questionable because of the workmanship. The material seems to stain easily and might not maintain its original color after a sudden downpour or puddles on sidewalks. I'm also concerned it could potentially detach from the upper part, like what happened to my old cheap silver flats I purchased a few years ago.

For those of you curious, this is what happened to my flats from when I was younger, purchased at Deb:

They look very disgusting now, but seemed decent before I actually wore them. But shoes are meant for wearing! This was my first (and only) necessary lesson on shoe quality. These lasted maybe 6 months and cost around $14 if I remember correctly. I have much more faith in Target's quality, but still would rather wait for sales and get discounts on better built shoes. After all a $30 shoe that lasts a few years is worth more than a $17 shoe that lasts 6-12 months.

A poor example, but my last flats, the Rue21 Gracelyn flat that I wear far too often (for instance, here) have lasted me a year and 3 months now. They were $25, but they were on sale and with a coupon/ free shipping at DSW, so they ended up being much better quality for the price.

Honestly, I possibly would have kept these anyways, if I hadn't discovered the Vince Camuto leopard flats that I managed to pay only $23 for(plus shipping, gr). I have little will-power, but finally convinced myself to return them by reminding myself I hadn't been looking for plain brown flats anyways, and didn't have any specific pairings in mind for them. The Vince Camuto shoes post is here.

What do you think? Is the low, low price of the Ona flats worth their Target quality? I haven't had much experience with Target shoes and am curious since they're quite popular. Let me know if you would recommend them! (:

**update** Target recently came out with different color Ona flats here! I tried on the wine color in stores and found it was probably more durable than the synthetic leather ones. I don't know if I would buy them at retail price, but if they go on sale, it'd be something to consider.

7 comments:

  1. A pair of faux suede booties I wore in a recent post were from Target. I bought them almost 2 years ago on a clearance sale for $7! I wear the heck out of them, but they're still holding up really well! I haven't made any other shoe purchases from Target since then, so I can't say that their quality is consistent. It seems to heavily depend on the specific pair, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is such a great deal! I'm definitely interested in trying Target shoes but just haven't really found any yet haha. I'm glad yours have become such a success. Will possibly be checking out the shoes at my local Target again soon (:

      Delete
  2. I love the break down of your quality assessment. I think its a great practice. Something we should have learnt from our previous generations but skipped the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from the UK so we don't have Target but the nearest equivalent is probably Primark, and I tend to buy really cheap shoes from there and then wear them to death! I guess when I break it down to cost-per-wear it becomes a bargain, but I'm starting to wonder if I would actually get more out of some investment-buy shoes. I'd have to be wary though because I've been taken in by higher-priced brands before which turned out to be basically the same quality and fell apart within a few wears...

    Love the post by the way!

    www.fashionmoriarty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've found that some pricier shoes can be cheap quality also, and I guess the only way around that is to look into the shoes themselves and how they're made. I've heard some Target shoes are pretty great and worth buying too (:

      Delete
  4. I don't buy ballet flats because I need more arch support, but I have had sandals from Target.
    I had a pair of fake Birks -thong-style with the cork sole- that needed a minor repair after they got wet, the rubber sole came off the cork wedge, but once I did that they're still going. Another pair of rubber-soled sandals, a Born knock-off, wore marvelously. If I've had trouble with cheap shoes it's more likely because the uppers never got soft and comfortable.

    When I look through DSW I see shoes with stylish uppers constructed with soles that appear just as flimsy as what Target offers. It's my feeling that below a certain price point, say $75-100 the only difference in shoes is the up-to-dateness of the upper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting point. In my experience, sandals last pretty long for all brands. Comfort is the main issue for fitted shoes like flats and heels. The problem for me is actually the upper falling apart or feeling painful. I've never had any sole problems. I've had a so-so experience with DSW, because their shoes don't last especially long, but I'm really excited to learn that Target is DSW quality!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...